CategoryTriennale di Milano
Dates31/05/1936 - 01/11/1936
ThemeContinuity - Modernity
The sixth Triennale di Milano was recognised by the BIE on 22 June 1935 and opened on 31 May 1936 under the theme “Continuity – Modernity”. As with the fifth edition, some structures were erected in the Parco Sempione, including the Housing Exhibition pavilion – a glass and concrete tower designed by Pagano, and a large open-air theatre.
International contributions were numerous and of high quality: France was represented by Le Corbusier, Finland by the bentwood furniture of Alvar Aalto, and a range of high-profile artists exhibited their works, including Braque, Derain, Gabo, Goncharova, Larionov, Léger and Picasso. However, it was architecture that remained the preferred area of cultural comparison for the Italian Government of the time.
In addition to his contribution to the exhibition on housing, Pagano presented his own photographic exploration of the rural Mediterranean house. The architectural exhibitions were complemented by Agnoldomenico Pica’s survey of Italy and by Giancarlo Palanti and Edoardo Persico’s Hall of Victory, one of the exhibition’s most significant installations, containing a group of statues by Lucio Fontana and graphic work by Marcello Nizzoli.